How to do profitable Poultry farming in Poultry business?
Poultry farming in India is a very profitable business. Poultry business require proper planning and management. It provide meat and egg which are highly nutritive value with high in protein. It provides source of income and opportunities of employment at poultry farms, poultry processing unit, meat and egg marketing channels etc. Quick returns can be expected from the investment. In rural areas, since less investment required to start the enterprises, it has attained a status of “cottage industry”.
How to do profitable Poultry farming in Poultry business?
- By getting the day old chicks
- Brooding the chicks
- Making of your own poultry feeds
- Growing the birds to maturity
- Protects birds from predators
- Provide additional concentrate feeding
- Clean sanitary condition of poultry equipment and poultry house
- Proper vaccination and health care
- Poultry manure, if infected, can spread disease, hence keep the litter dry
- Make the drinking and feeding cans to be adequate
- When the birds are many, do not use just one small container, use bigger containers and they should be more than one
- Clean their houses and make sure the floor is dry
- When you allow their floor to be wet, they start having cough and other respiratory infection and their growth will be retarded
- Any disease suspected bird or injured bird should be isolated and observed
- It is good that you have a small house for isolating birds
- Requires a lot of work such as feeding them everyday and washing their water cans
- You need to make light available for them but the light should be dim such that they can only see the feeding and water cans so that they will not become excited and start jumping around in the night
- Avoid the use of bright light
- Try to make your chicken bigger and cheaper: people love buying good things and at cheaper prices.
Advantages of poultry farming
It provide meat and egg which are highly nutritive value with high in protein. It provides source of income and opportunities of employment at poultry farms, poultry processing unit, meat and egg marketing channels etc. Quick returns can be expected from the investment. In rural areas, since less investment required to start the enterprises, it has attained a status of “cottage industry”. In animal and human medical research birds are used as experimental units. Capital investment lower compared with that other livestock operations. Caged birds decrease labour for producer.
Current genetics in all breeds have improved over the years, allowing the batter meat and egg productions. The opportunity exists to contract with large company. Producer provide wholesome poultry products to the consumer. Poultry income distributed throughout the year. Adaptable to large and small farms. Broilers intake of feed is comparatively very low while it produces maximum possible amount of food for us. Poultry is capable of utilizing as its feed large quantities of byproducts like bran, substandard grains, vegetables etc. which normally go as waste, thus saving for the farmer a portion of his expenses towards poultry feed.
Poultry farming requires very little water for both drinking and cleaning. One liter of water is sufficient for 5 birds for a day. Poultry droppings are rich in nitrogen and organic material and hence, are considered valuable as fertilizers. Poultry feathers are also used for making pillows, fancy articles and curios. Poultry products like egg and meat have high nutritional value. Among all edible meat, broiler meat has the least fat content. It can also be cooked in its own fat and does not require any from outside. Poultry meat contains more protein and essential amino acids than other meats and are low in its cholesterol content in comparison.
Points keep in mind when incubate your future broilers and layers
Pre-Hatch Check List for Equipment
When you receive your incubator,
- Wash it thoroughly with a damp cloth using a diluted bleach solution; then let dry.
- Set it up away from drafts, direct sunlight, and traffic path.
- Regulate the temperature between 99 degrees – 103 degrees F for two to seven days before you begin incubation of fertile eggs. Maintain room temperature between 70 degrees and 75 degrees F.
- Make sure you have a reliable and accurate thermometer.
- Be sure the thermometer is placed at egg level.
- Fill water rings in bottom of incubator with distilled water and keep full.
Incubation Check List
- Wash your hands thoroughly before setting eggs in the incubator. Wash your hands after setting eggs in the incubator.
- Be sure the incubator water channels are full of water. Refill with water that is at room temperature.
- Mark an “x” on one side and an “o” on the other side of each egg with a pencil.
- Best day of week to set your fertile eggs is on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Regulate temperature between 99 degrees F and 103 degrees F, most preferably at 100.5 degrees F, if using a still air incubator.
- Turn your fertile eggs three times a day beginning on day two until the 18th day of incubation.
- Wash your hands thourougly before and after handling the eggs. Keep records on turning the eggs.
- Candle eggs on day 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 and after 21. Do not candle after day 18 until you are sure that hatching is complete.
At the End of Day 18
- Place a thin layer of cheese cloth over the wire rack, then place the eggs on the cheese cloth.
- Add wet sponges to bottom channels to increase moisture, and if your incubator has vent plugs, remove them as appropriate.
- When chicks hatch, lower incubator temperature to 95 degrees F. Do not remove chicks from incubator until they are dry and fluffy.
- When Hatching Begins – Day 21
- Set up a brooder box.
- Get out feeder and waterer.
- Place wood shavings or other suitable litter in the bottom of the brooder box.
- Regulate the temperature around 95 degrees F.
- Provide water and feed for chicks after they are placed in the brooder box. Place marbles or rocks in the waterer to keep chicks from drowning.
- Return hatched chicks to the Extension Office or take them to the farm at the agreed upon time.
- Clean your incubator with a diluted bleach solution.
- Allow to dry.
- Wash and dry feeder and waterer.
- Put incubator and other equipment away for next year.
- Return evaluation.